Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Mickey Mouse Cake, Part I

My little buddy Caleb has a birthday coming up, and for his party on Saturday I'm making him a Mickey Mouse cake. A little bird told me that his family's favorite cake is yellow with chocolate frosting, so I decided just to make a regular sheet cake. I'd been wanting to try a frozen buttercream or a chocolate transfer, and I thought that would be just the thing to spruce up a lil' old sheet cake.





So here you have my first attempt at a chocolate/candy transfer. It was a quick dry run to figure out how it all worked.

Today I decided to try again, making a few adjustments. Although still not perfect, you can see that this one came out much cleaner. I also used a different strategy for acheiving the color in the face.


And here's a side-by-side comparison of the two, just for kicks.

This is a really cool method which I plan on perfecting and using often in the future. The possibilities are almost endless. Here are pictures of the finished product.

Next on the list is a frozen buttercream transfer; I have to find room in the freezer to accomplish the "frozen" part. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's pretty cool, Apryl. I would just be happy if the sheet cake part of it turned out edible (for me). You, on the other hand, manage to make cakes shaped like guitars or put fancy transfers on them. You starting a new baking blog that we don't know about? :)

I envy people like you who aren't afraid to try and fail or simply try and try again to improve. How come you never made cakes for us at work?