Thursday, December 20, 2007

Speaking of Merry Christmas

Before the holiday gets past us, I wanted to blog about the whole "Merry Christmas" fiasco.

As you've no doubt noticed, there has been in recent years a great uproar from those who are offended that people don't say Merry Christmas anymore. They do have a point, to some extent. It's a little ridiculous to effectively banish the phrase from common speech, since the majority of this country is still Christian, and even more than that celebrate Christmas.

However, it's equally ridiculous to get all upset when people or businesses don't say it. Back when I was a kid, oh so many years ago, I distinctly remember tons of people saying "Happy Holidays" or "Season's Greetings." I mean, let's face it. Even if you don't recognize Hannukah or Kwanza or whatever other holiday, there is still more than one holiday this time of year- Thanksgiving or New Year's, anyone? And is it really that troublesome to wish someone, regardless of their holiday of choice, season's greetings?

And I'm starting to wonder if this is all just somebody's imagination anyway. In the print ads I do see "holiday" this or that, but in the stores and business, all I ever hear is a big fat MERRY CHRISTMAS, so I think we'll all survive. After all, the season isn't about the words we say, but Who is in our heart.

No comments: