Sunday, December 30, 2007

The face of Jesus? What now...

He shares a room outside with a dozen other guys
And the only roof he knows is that sometimes starry sky
A tattered sleeping bag on a concrete slab is his bed
And it’s too cold to talk tonight
So I just sit with him instead and think

How did I find myself in a better place
I can’t look down on the frown on the other guy’s face
‘Cause when I stoop down low, look him square in the eye
I get a funny feeling, I just might be dealing
With the face of Christ

See you had no choice which day you would be born
Or the color of your skin, or what planet you’d be on
Would your mind be strong, would your eyes be blue or brown
Whether daddy would be rich, or if momma stuck around at all

So if you find yourself in a better place
You can’t look down on the frown on the other guy’s face
You gotta stoop down low, look him square in the eye
And get a funny feeling, ‘cause you might be dealing ...
With the face of Christ

- excerpted from "Face of Christ," Chris Rice



I saw the face of Jesus down on Sixteenth Avenue
He was sleeping in an old car, while his mom went looking for food
And I heard the voice of Jesus gently whisper to my soul
Didn't you say you wanted to know me?
Well, here I am, and it's getting cold

So, What now?
What will you do now that you found Me?
What now?
What will you do with this treasure you've found?
I know I may not look like what you expected
But if you'll remember this is right where I said I would be
You've found me

- excerpted from "What Now," Steven Curtis Chapman


Tonight I'm in line at Panda Express. Obviously homeless guy in line behind me. He asks the server if they serve coffee, which they don't. I assume a lot of places give out free coffee. "I'll buy you some food if you're hungry," I say. He looks at me. Doesn't know how to order food. "You can pick rice or noodles, and then two other things." Stuttering. Mumbling. Me to the server, "Give him some rice and pick some other stuff for him, please." Guy in front of me in line passes me three dollars cash and says he'll split the cost of the extra meal with me. Cashier gives me the employee discount- 30%, $7.68. Between that and the cash, I now have $10 to pay for a $5.60 meal. Funny how stuff like that works. A crippled hand reaches out to take the food. "Thank you very much, ma'am." I hope he figured out how to use the drink dispenser.

1 comment:

Nicole Brady said...

Nice story, Apryl. Brought some tears to my eyes this morning. That was thoughtful of you and nice that the guy in front of you handing you money instead of scoffing and rolling his eyes. Happy New Year to you and your three boys. :)