Monday, April 7, 2008

Bubble Gum + Not Flossing = Bad News

One of my weight loss strategies includes "snacking" on gum. It has very few calories, and you don't actually eat it anyway. My repertoire includes all different kinds of gum, but I especially like different flavors of bubble gum. Well, this particular approach has backfired on me.

I saw the dentist today.

The tooth that is hurting (or giving me "discomfort" as the nurse so underwhelmingly put it) needs a root canal, which I will hopefully be getting this afternoon. Despite having had maybe 3 real cavities my whole life, I now have 5-6 cavities that need attention, in addition to another possible root canal . The cavities all start in between my teeth, instead of on the bottom. Apparently this comes from not flossing all that bubble-gum-sugar away. Who knew?

So now it looks like I have to give up my beloved bubble gum. It just goes to show you that everything in life requires moderation.

Until I acquire that skill, though, it's sugarless for me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also use gum as a deterrent to eating, but I am old and wise and chew the sugarless, once in a while I like some good old sugary bubble gum though :)

Anonymous said...

I did a campaign for BzzAgent and got a free Sonicare toothbrush. I swear, it's been the greatest thing and ended up getting Scott one. During the whole move thing, I missed my regular appointments for a few years (READ 3+ years) and when I when I finally got settled in, here in Iowa, and went to the dentist, they said they couldn't tell. They thought I was just in for a regular cleaning! It's been the best tooth investment!

Sorry to hear about the root canal(s). Ask your dentist about the Sonicare and see what they think!

Dyann said...

One of my most damaging (and most ridiculous) weight loss attempts involved drinking a tablespoon of cider vinegar every day. Not good for tooth enamel. Lousy for the digestive tract as well....
Good luck with the root canal! :)