Thursday, April 10, 2008

Idol Gives Back... and takes out "Jesus"

If you didn't see the final song on American Idol- Idol Gives Back last night, take a look:




The morning show on Air1 radio was all abuzz with people calling in and saying how it touched them so much, etc etc.

I, for one, have a real problem with this, mostly because they took the name of Jesus OUT of the song. They replaced, "My Jesus, My Savior" with "My shepherd, my Savior," which is highly ironic since the chorus of the song says, "mountains bow down and the seas will roar at the sound of YOUR NAME." Which name, I wonder, were they singing in honor of? Certainly not Jesus'.

Looks like this song is going the way of "Amazing Grace," which is sung by anyone and everyone, whether or not the words apply to them personally. I don't know each of their hearts, but I wonder how many of the maybe 50(?) people singing on that stage really call Jesus their Savior; their tower of refuge and strenth; their King? Do they really commit every breath, all that they are, in never-ceasing worship to Him? Do they even think about the words they're singing?

Why are Christians so "blessed" by this performance, when Jesus' name was emphatically removed from the whole thing? I think it's offensive, myself.

What do you think?

No comments: