Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Teaching math concepts to a 3-year-old

Today Colby brought home worksheets from school showing how they had been practicing with the concept of zero. Following the suggestion on the bottom of the page, I started quizzing him about things we have zero of at home.

How many sisters do you have?

How many cats do we have?

How many older brothers do you have?

Colby happened to be eating jelly beans at the time, and he quickly caught on and said, "and when I eat all of these jelly beans, there will be zero left!" He gets his brains from me.

I left the room but could hear the conversation between the brothers continue:

Colby: Hey Tyler, you see these jelly beans? See, I have some now, but I'm going to eat them. After I eat them, how many will I have?

Tyler: Coffee!!!

______________________________

And in case you think the kids are the only funny ones around here, witness the exchange that took place earlier this evening:

Tyler: What's a tuba?

Brian: A little more than a one-ba.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One-ba! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

& the coffee was super cute, too!

Jessica & Jeremy said...

wow..a one-ba. THAT is clever.

Coffee is a bean too! ;) I guess when you run out of jelly beans you do have that option.