Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Indiana Jones versus the Knight: a one-man play

Man, this was one of those times I wished I had the video camera rolling. Colby has always loved playing with swords, and has recently gotten to be a fan of Indiana Jones (not because of the new movie, but because we found him some old choose-your-own-adventure books about Indiana Jones at the library book sale; however, I digress). Thus, it wasn't surprising when he asked if I wanted to watch a show (starring himself, of course) about Indiana Jones fighting a knight.

First he started out with his Burger King crown on his head, giving his horse (which looked a lot like his bicycle) a bath. He explained how he was on the search for the Key of the Gold Treasure or some such reward. Only problem was, *someone* always got to the treasures before him.... Indiana Jones!! He went on to explain, quietly in my ear, that Indiana Jones had found the brush of Samson before he'd had a chance to get to it (thanks, Veggietales), so he had to quickly find the gold treasure. Off he went into the house, me assuming he was looking for treasure.

To my surprise, he came back out with his cowboy hat on. "If you want to ask me what kind of hat I have on, go ahead," he prompted. Taking my cue, I did ask him. "It's a fedora. Have you seen a knight anywhere around here?"

Oh my, I could have died laughing. Not only was the fedora comment classic, but it just struck me as so clever for him to play *both* parts in the show. Usually his opponent is quite imaginary, so I think this marks a definite shift in his imaginative development.

Note to self: keep that camera rolling.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I get his autograph now so it'w worth something when he's famous?!

I can't imagine either of my kids THAT imaginative - and he's not that much older than Miss M! How exciting... the things we have to look forward to.

Speaking of kids getting older... if you see the girl that used to do payroll (S.S.) - tell her I said hello and was just thinking about how big her kids must be now!

Apryl Kuhn said...

Nicole, if you ever watch the Veggietales movie "Minnesota Cuke," you will see where he got his inspiration. ;)