Thursday, November 29, 2007

It's 11pm, and the hospital is calling

Sleeping soundly through the end of "Shrek the Third" the other night, I was startled awake by the sound of the ringing phone. With a sleepy stumble, I made it over to pick up the receiver. I looked at the clock. 11:00pm. This can't be good... any phone call at such an hour must be bad news. The kids are here with us; they're ok. Maybe my parents? My brother? It doesn't help my nerves when the voice on the phone says, "Hello, this is so-and-so from Natividad Hospital..." My mind races through the list of loved ones once again. Who would be in Natividad Hospital? She goes on. "Your son, Colby, was seen here last Tuesday?" Yes. It was only an ear infection. Could there somehow be bad news associated with that, and a week later? "Well, we've discovered that instead of charging your credit card, we issued you a credit."

Ok, wait. You made a mistake in your billing office, and you're calling me at 11:00 at night to clear it up?

"Do you think you could give us your credit card number so that we can make the charge?" Let's see. It's late at night, I just woke up, and some stranger on the phone is asking me for my credit card number. Is this one of those incredibly bizarre yet somehow still realistic dreams? I told her I wasn't going to give out my card number over the phone, but suggested she bill me. "Please hold." Several moments later, she comes back with a response: "Ok, we're going to avoid (yes, "avoid") the charge and we'll send you a bill for the copay you owe."

Gee, thanks. And GOODNIGHT!

2 comments:

Kristen said...

11:00PM?!?!?! That doesn't sound very legitimate to me! No reasonable buisiness, or even hospital, would call about BILLING in the middle of the night! I'd check that bill over VERY carefully, or even take it in in person to pay it, to make sure they really sent it!

Apryl Kuhn said...

I did see the credit on my statement, so they really did make a mistake. As for calling so late, I have no idea who had that bright idea.