Thursday, January 17, 2008

Just a little story

The other day a friend of mine, Kelly Rogers (not her real first name... you know, to protect the innocent and all that), had a baby. In trying to call her, I got my first preview of the new automated phone system at the hospital. First, you press 1 to get to the machine who tries to figure out who you want to talk to. It's one of those voice-recognition programs. It asks me who I would like to reach, and unfortunately I had to clear my throat at exactly the wrong time. In it's most robotic voice, the machine asked me, "Did you say Achmed Ahmad?"

So I tried again, and somehow my throat managed to clear itself at several more inopportune times. Finally I was able to say "KELLY ROGERS." Machine: "Did you say Kelly Waters?" No... "KELLY ROGERS." "Did you say Kelly Waters?" No... "We don't have this patient. Please wait for an operator." So I waited a full 5 minutes on hold with no receptionist in sight before I hung up. Calling back, the scenario was repeated, sans the throat clearing. This time the dogs barked. Then on the second try, we went through the KELLY ROGERS, "Kelly Waters?" routine again. Finally I just said, "Yes it's Kelly Waters I guess!!!!" and lo and behold, I got to the right place. Mind you, this was a 20 minute process broken up into several increments. But hey, I got to congratulate my friend.

Fast forward to today when Tyler and I decided to have a little cuddle time while watching Sesame Street, a real treat for him. You all know what comes on before Sesame Street, right? Mister Rogers, of course! I asked Tyler if he wanted to watch it, and he said, "Oh, KELLY ROGERS?"

1 comment:

Nicole Brady said...

LOL - Wonder if you had asked for Kelly Waters if it would have said "Did you say Kelly Rogers?"

If Ms Waters-Rogers was a fellow coworker that I may have known, please tell her I said congratulations!