Saturday, January 26, 2008

Not a little girl anymore

It's been a few years since I last jumped rope. Quite a few. I remember it fondly, though, so at Target today I decided to pick up a grown-up jumprope and give it a shot.


Wow.


It's HARD!


I don't pretend to be in good shape, but I can't even do it for more than a couple minutes at a time. My arms get tired, my knees get achy, and my flab gets pretty floppy. But it's still fun, so I'm going to work up to 5 minutes straight. Then I'll set my sights on 8 or 10 minutes, and then maybe even 15 minutes. If I ever get to 30 minutes straight, I'll be ready for the playground again.

1 comment:

Nicole Brady said...

My cardio instructor said that jumping rope is one of the best cardio activities because you can't really slow down. You're either jumping or you're not. One of the instructors was even looking for interest in a jump roping class to replace her step class.

I had started to do the rope on my own on my free day at the gym, but then the ropes went MIA. I found out they ordered new ones that can be checked out from the desk. Once those come in, I'll start doing it regularly. I hadn't thought of setting time goals... thanks!

I agree, it's hard to do. I can keep a good pace for about 3-4 minutes doing crossovers and everything. Then I get so tired that my feet start to fail me.

I've been looking into the ropeless jump ropes but haven't taken the plunge yet! Thinking about asking for one for my birthday.

Great that you're setting goals for yourself. Keep us posted!