Saturday, January 19, 2008

You'd think they could have washed it

Yesterday we had the truck in for service. It was due for an oil change, and since we're almost at the 60k mile mark, we ended up needing to have that service done. That's a big one. Not only that, but it's recommended to have the fuel injection system serviced at that time. Plus, I'd been having issues with the brake light and gas gauge, so I wanted them to look at that too.

Before I left the dealership, they said it would be somewhere around $650. Of course, once they took a look inside, they discovered that the reason the brake light kept coming on was because the front brakes were at only 20%. Those need to be replaced. Add on another $300 for that. Oh, and the gas gauge? Another $300-$400 to fix something that's sticking in the gas tank.

We figured the brakes were pretty important, so we gave them the OK to replace those. However, we passed on the gas tank/gauge fix. We decided that if the gauge quits working altogether, we can still use the other display screen that tells how many more miles you can drive before filling up. Worst case scenario, we can just watch the odometer! Bottom line, we're not going to drop $400 right now to fix it.

So the grand total when I picked up the truck last night- $950 and change. Ouch! But that wasn't even the worst part. When they pulled it around for me, I saw that they didn't even wash it! I mean, it was there allllll day and we paid them an arm and TWO legs. You'd think they could have washed it.

1 comment:

Nicole Brady said...

Not that I didn't like the dealerships in your area, but they just weren't as nice as the one we found when we moved to Arcadia. They provided RT shuttle service as well as washed the vehicle every time. The service I get here in Iowa is pretty good, too. Whenever I have the kids with me and we wait in the waiting room (because it's only going to be a short wait) then they bring balloons and/or suckers for the kids.

I can give you the name of the service company that I used while I lived there - he was great and the prices not that bad. (Our coworker, Steve, referred me to him and I'm glad he did!)

And when you're ready for new tires, check out www.tirerack.com because they're the cheapest you'll find. Our last two or three sets came from there. :)